Monday, February 3, 2014

Cliff Kid Contest

This summer, I was in a contest for the Clif Bar brand for inventing a game you can play in your backyard with things you could find in your house.  I was chosen as a finalist to go to San Diego for the weekend.  This is a summary of what happened.

This is me getting on the plane in Flagstaff to fly to Phoenix and then after Phoenix, to San Diego.

This is me with my really tall driver of my mini-limo.  His license plate said "RD CRPT" and he said it was for VIP only.  He said I would be the winner.  

The morning of the competition, I got my picture taken in front of the sign for my game.  I felt excited and confident.


Tony Hawk, one of the judges, introduced all of the finalist and their games to the crowd.



I got interviewed for the news and newspapers.

This is my game!  It was called "Monkeys Go Bananas."  You can see me in the background trying to explain the rules to one of the teams (I'm the little guy in the background wearing red shorts and a beige shirt).
This is me with Tony Hawk and my ginormous check of $1,000!  The first thing I asked was, "Wait!  How's this going to fit in my wallet?"



We got to stay at a very fancy hotel where I almost got lost in my fluffy pillows.

We did some fun things besides the Backyard Games.  We rented a taxi to go with La Jolla Cove for the afternoon with some of the other finalists.  We also rode a roller coaster at the beach, swam in the ocean (my hand almost got eaten by a sea lion!), and best of all...

JET SKIING!!!

This is me on our final flight back to Flagstaff.  All in all, it was a great trip!






3 comments:

  1. I loved learning more about your Clif Bar trip from your prespective and seeing the pictures. I'm proud of you for working so hard on it and following through. Glad you and your mom had such a great trip. If I had a Clif Bar here I would eat it right now ;) Hugs, Gamma

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun weekend that was! Thanks for sharing it with Kendra, Grandpa and me. Thanks for buying us lunch with your gift card...it was yummy pizza! We were so proud of how you invented your game and then taught it to others! You were a winner in our eyes! Are you going to enter the contest again? Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam! Thanks for sharing this! Maybe you can share your game with the class! --Mrs. Jung :)

    ReplyDelete